Emotional Understanding for an Intense Balancing Act
There is no other disease that requires such an intense amount of self maintenance. We are given a great deal of information and then told to go home and manage this ourselves.
This disease also takes a great emotional toll. As important as blood sugar management is, if we don’t acknowledge our anger at being handed something we didn’t ask for, our dread as our numbers creep up, and our sorrow for the loss of the life we thought we were to live, all the technology in the world won’t help us.
Coaching for Diabetics by a Diabetic
I’m a professional coach, trained in an International Coaching Federation accredited program. I am a life long learner when it comes to coaching, diabetes, technology and life itself. I am not a perfect diabetic, and I don’t expect you to be either. I do not give medical advice; that is the last thing any of us need. I’m here to help you collect all the information you’ve received through Doctors, Nutritionists, CDE’s and websites and help you figure out where to start.
Have you ever experienced:
- Wishing you could have a longer visit with your doctor, or someone who could explain the “whys” and “hows” of what he or she is telling you?
- Feeling invisible when you walked into the CDE’s office and she just said “hand me your meter”, downloaded it and began berating you about your numbers without even asking you how you are?
- Feeling scared and ashamed while being told horror stories about kidney dialysis or amputation by your medical team and then expected to change your behavior by the time of your next visit?
Even if all goes well, the best clinicians are not able to take the time to answer all of your questions in a 15 minute visit. If you have left your doctor’s office feeling confusion, shock, guilt, anger, shame, anxiety or helpless, then coaching is for you.
We will work together to empower you to make the changes you chose to make, with a plan that feels right for you. Perfection is not possible, nor is it desirable with diabetes, so we will work on strategies to enable you.
Some of the things we’ll cover:
- Strategies for day to day living
- Goal Setting
- Exploration of feelings and beliefs about diabetes
- Explore challenges
- Clarify feelings, values and meaning
- Develop a plan and commit to action
- Experiment with and re-evaluate your plan
- Problem solving
- Social support
- Stress management
- Spiritual support
If this sounds like something you are interested in, click the button below to schedule a 30 minute free consultation.
Just call Leann at 804-446-4677 or email Leann@DelphiDiabetesCoaching.com