Emotional Understanding for an Intense Balancing Act
Living with diabetes requires an intense amount of self maintenance. We are given a great deal of information and then told to go home and manage this ourselves.
This disease also takes a great emotional toll. As important as blood sugar management is, if we don’t acknowledge our anger, fear, or sorrow, all the technology in the world won’t help us.
Coaching for Diabetics by a Diabetic
Some of the things we’ll cover:
- Strategies for day to day living
- Goal Setting
- Exploration of feelings and beliefs about diabetes
- Explore challenges
- Clarify feelings, values and meaning
- Develop a plan and commit to action
- Experiment with and re-evaluate your plan
- Problem solving
- Social support
- Stress management
- Spiritual support
I am a a Type 1 myself and a life long learner when it comes to diabetes, technology and life itself. I am not a perfect diabetic, and I don’t expect you to be either. I do not give medical advice; that is the last thing any of us need. I’m here to help you collect all the information you’ve received through Doctors, Nutritionists, CDE’s and websites and help you figure out where to start.
Have you ever:
- Wished you could have a longer visit with your doctor, or someone who could explain the “whys” and “hows” of what he or she is telling you?
- Felt invisible when you walked into the CDE’s office and she just said “hand me your meter”, downloaded it and began berating you about your numbers without even asking you how you are?
- Felt scared and ashamed while being told horror stories about kidney dialysis or amputation by your medical team and then expected to change your behavior by the time of your next visit?
Even if all goes well, the best clinicians are not able to take the time to answer all of your questions in a 15 minute visit. If you have left your doctor’s office feeling confusion, shock, guilt, anger, shame, anxiety or helpless, then coaching is for you.
We will work together to empower you to make the changes you chose to make, with a plan that feels right for you. Perfection is not possible, nor is it desirable with diabetes, so we will work on strategies to enable you.
If this sounds like something you are interested in, click the button below to schedule a 30 minute free consultation.
Ready to change your life with diabetes?
Let's talk and discuss a plan forward for you. This is completely donation based - no strings attached. If you just want someone to listen, I am available.